Course HistorySpring Meadows was built on family farm land. The Pollard Brothers, owners of the course, all worked the dairy farm, which was active through the mid 1960’s. Dairy cattle were pastured out on a good part of the land. Other parcels gave way to hayfields and gardens that all brothers worked on each summer. Growing up on a farm gave us many fond memories that we hold today.
There were a few times after the close of our dairy farm that mentions were made for transforming the lands into a golf course. Nothing serious. It was not until the mid 1990’s that a golf course shaper and a grade school classmate of one of the brothers approached the Pollards with the idea of turning our farmlands into a golf course. Fred Stone was not new to the his craft. In fact, he had worked along side his Dad on many projects. His Dad was a well known area golf course shaper and had worked on a few projects with world renown architect, Trent Jones Sr. Fred put us in touch with a local architect, Brad Booth of Faxon & Booth Golf Design. Many meetings were scheduled that led to grounds being broken for a championship 18 hole golf course. In October of 1999, 9 holes were open to the public. We remained 9 holes through 2000. In 2001 we opened 18 holes of golf. Our 1922 barn has been transformed into a beautiful event center for banquets, weddings and other social functions.
Spring Meadows has become a very successful business. It has earned a reputation for being one of the best conditioned golf courses in Maine and beyond. It’s been described by Golf Digest as “. . . a venue worth the drive.”